Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Summer Learning and the First Day of Classes!

        My initial reaction to creating the blog is it will be a beneficial tool not only now, but for years to come as I progress to a Physical Education teacher. Creating the blog was relatively easy and the hardest part was thinking of a creative; yet professional Gmail address. I look forward to referring back to the blog during the semester to further enhance the content.
     
Photo from Google Images
         Over the summer I worked at a soccer camp where I was in charge of instructing 4-6 year old children with my assistant. Coaching at the camp has given me the opportunity to reveal a few of my weaknesses, so I can make the corrections to become a stronger instructor. The camp was very essential as I was able to evaluate my overall performance throughout the duration of the camp.  I was also able to witness what instructions and programs were effective with the age group I was in charge of.  My campers were able to learn more effectively because I would perform a demonstration before the beginning of each drill/game. The drills/games are designed for the age group, so it specifically lays down the foundation for the game of soccer.  To help the 4-6 age group positive feedback was always applied as having the right attitude helps motivate the campers. Once the drill/game began it allowed me the time to evaluate every player in my group. The evaluation of each player gave me the ability to view which campers may need more attention due to his/her soccer potential.
     
Photo from Google Images
        In my first class with Professor Yang (PED 201) the basics of the class was covered. During class, the syllabus was discussed and Professor Yang's blog was viewed. Professor Yang then brought the class on a tour of Park Center to give the new students an opportunity to see where classes are located. Later, lab for PED 201 was held at Saint Mary's Elementary School where the students had the ability to see the building where we all would be helping. During our time at the school we were able to cover different things to expect and prepare for throughout our stay at Saint Mary's. My second class (EDU 255) with Professor Yang we spent the time in a gymnasium where the class was split into two groups. Each member in the group had to create an activity for the other members to perform for four minutes. The objects the students got to choose from were volleyballs, basketballs, soccer balls, footballs, and hula hoops. Sounds like the start of a great semester!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment